Rich Lemon Bars
A rich, delicious cookie bar with a buttery shortbread crust topped with a sweet-tart lemony custard filling.
1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup cold butter or margarine
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Additional powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour and powdered sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press mixture onto the bottom of prepared baking pan; bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, baking powder, lemon juice and remaining 3 tablespoons flour; mix well. Pour over baked crust; bake for additional 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar, if desired. Cut into bars.
Makes 24 bars.