Slender Blondie Brownies
Shh! These moist and fudgy low-fat bars, studded with crunchy peanuts and bittersweet chocolate chips, have a secret ingredient.
Nonstick cooking spray
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
2/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped prunes
1/4 cup peanuts
1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt onto a piece of waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugar until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in the egg whites and vanilla. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the prunes, peanuts and chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist-looking crumbs. Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 12 pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe; 1 brownie):; Calories: 149; Calories from Fat: 72; Fat: 8g; Trans fats: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 19 g; Protein: 3g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 64mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Peanut Board.