Sour Cream Apple Squares
Delicious dessert bars with a nutty, brown sugar shortbread base topped with a creamy apple filling and a crumb topping. The perfect companion for a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a billowy dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup chopped nuts
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and butter; beat at low speed until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Press 2 3/4 cups of crumb mixture in bottom of ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- To remaining mixture, add cinnamon, baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla and egg; mix well. Stir in apples. Spoon evenly over base.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Makes 16 squares.