Sticky Toffee Walnut Squares
These toffee squares are sticky and sweet but without the guilt since the dates make this snack ultra moist without the added fat. Crowned with golden walnuts these squares are absolutely irresistible.
1 1/2 cups California walnuts
1 pound dates
2 cups water
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In dry skillet, toast walnuts over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature, then coarsely chop.
- In medium saucepan, combine dates and water. Simmer about 15 to 20 minutes or until dates are soft and water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir baking soda into cooled date mixture. Add dry ingredients and dates alternately to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Spread mixture evenly in greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F about 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly and tester comes out clean.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in small saucepan. Add cream and brown sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in salt and vanilla. Pour brown sugar mixture over cake. Sprinkle walnuts evenly over top. Broil cake about 3-inches from broiler until topping bubbles. Cool to room temperature in pan then cut into squares.
Makes 24 squares.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Walnuts.