Sweet Potato Bars
Moist, tender and spiced sweet potato and oatmeal cookie bars studded with crunchy walnuts.
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pound sweet potatoes, pared and shredded (about 2 cups)
2 cups uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- In large mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and allspice.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in dry ingredients, sweet potatoes, oats and nuts.
- Spread dough in a 13x9x2-inch greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into l l/2-inch bars.
Makes 24 bars.
For Drop Cookies: Drop dough by heaping tablespoons on lightly greased cookie sheets and flatten to l/2-inch thickness. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Makes about 36 3-inch cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.