Sweet Walnut Maple Bars
A yellow cake mix makes easy work of these sweet maple cookie bars studded with crunchy walnuts.
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 large eggs - divided use
1 1/3 cups maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to temperature shown on cake mix box.
- Separate 2/3 cup of the yellow cake mix and set aside.
- Combine the remaining cake mix with 1/3 cup melted butter and 1 egg. Stir thoroughly until well blended and crumbly. Press into an 13x9x2-inch baking dish sprayed with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until light brown.
- Combine the reserved 2/3 cup cake mix, 3 eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Pour over the crust and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until set. Cool before cutting.
Makes 24 bars.