Apple Juice Roast
Tender pot roast simmered with onions and sweet potatoes in a well-seasoned apple juice than makes an incredible gravy.
2 onions, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
4 pounds chuck roast
1 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/8 teaspoon dried basil
2 to 3 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large skillet cook sliced onions in 1 tablespoon butter until soft, but not brown; set aside.
- Brown a chuck roast in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned. Pierce with a fork.
- In a small bowl combine apple juice, ketchup, salt, pepper, thyme, prepared mustard, and basil; add to the roast. Top with the reserved, cooked onions; cover, reduce heat to low and cook slowly for 2 1/2 hours, or until almost tender.
- Brush sweet potatoes with lemon juice and add to the roast. Continue cooking, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the meat and sweet potatoes are tender. Remove the roast and vegetable.
- Skim the fat from the cooking liquid. Combine water and flour; stir gradually into the juices, heat to boiling, and cook until thick, stirring 3 to 5 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.