Autumn Gold Pot Roast
The flavors of autumn, a tender pot roast braised in a seasoned orange juice mixture with onions and sweet potatoes and served with a sweet and savory orange gravy.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 (4-pound) chuck roast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 1/4 cups water
1 (6-ounce) can frozen concentrated orange juice
4 sweet potatoes, peeled
4 onions, sliced
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge a chuck roast in the flour mixture, reserving the rest of the flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet, brown the chuck roast on all sides in oil.
- Combine 3/4 cup water, oregano, and celery seed; pour over the roast. Cover and cook over low heat, 325°F (160°C) for 2 hours.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups water and 1/2 cup frozen concentrated orange juice (undiluted); pour over the roast. Add peeled sweet potatoes and sliced onions. Cover and cook over low heat 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour, or until the roast and vegetables are tender. Remove the roast and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Combine the remaining flour mixture, the remaining orange juice concentrate, and brown sugar; mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve with the roast.
Makes 6 servings.