Beef Kabobs with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 1/2 pounds beef shoulder center (ranch) steaks, cut 1-inch thick
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 medium jalapeño pepper, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 medium pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (about 3 cups)
1 medium red onion, cut into 12 wedges
1 large red or green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons freshly grated lime peel
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut beef steaks into 1 1/4-inch pieces.
- For Marinade: Combine marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Remove and reserve 2 tablespoons for salsa. Add beef to remaining marinade; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Thread beef pieces onto 6 (10-inch) metal skewers, leaving small space between pieces. Alternately thread fruit and vegetable pieces evenly onto 6 (10-inch) metal skewers.
- Place fruit and vegetable kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning occasionally. Remove; keep warm.
- Place beef kabobs in center of grid. Grill, covered, 7 to 9 minutes for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally.
- For Pineapple Salsa: Remove fruit and vegetables from skewers; coarsely chop. Combine with reserved marinade, lime peel and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with Pineapple Salsa.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 207; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 57mg; Total Carbs: 9g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 24g; Sodium: 259mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.