Impress your friends and family this holiday season with this wonderful meal. - Submitted by Donna K. Condry from San Diego, CA.
2 1/4 pounds beef tenderloin
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg yolk, beaten
3 tablespoons cold water
1/2 cup deli or canned liver pate`
1 large egg white, beaten
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot or onion
1 teaspoon instant bouillon granules
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons softened margarine or butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- If roast is long and thin, fold narrow ends under and tie. If roast is flat and wide, tie crosswise in 2 or 3 places to form a rounder roast. (Finished shape should be about 7 X 3 1/2-inches.) Place meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 35 minutes. Remove from pan (remove strings if tied). Refrigerate about 10 minutes to cool surface.
- Meanwhile, for pastry, combine flour and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cut in the shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Combine egg yolk and water. Add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork till all is moistened. (If necessary, add 1 or 2 tablespoons additional water to moisten.) Form into a ball.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread pastry with pate` to within 1 1/2-inches of edges. Center meat atop pastry. Loosely wrap pastry around meat, overlapping long sides. Brush edges with beaten egg white and seal. Place seam side down in a greased shallow baking pan. Reroll any trimmings to make cutouts. Place cutouts on pastry-covered meat. Brush remaining egg white over pastry.*
- Bake about 25 minutes or till pastry is golden and meat is done to desire taste. Serve with Bordelaise Sauce. If desired, garnish with parsley sprigs.
- For Bordelaise Sauce: In a medium saucepan combine water, wine, finely chopped shallot or onion, bouillon granules and bay leaf. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Stir together the softened margarine or butter and flour. Add to wine mixture. Cook and stir till thick and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in snipped parsley. Makes about 1 cup sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
Note: If desired, insert a meat thermometer into pastry-wrapped meat. Roast to 140°F (60°C).