Beefy Italian Stuffed Shells
A great recipe for transforming leftover roast beef into something new and delicious to eat.
12 ounces cooked beef pot roast or brisket
20 uncooked jumbo pasta shells (about 8 ounces)
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided use
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (24-ounce) jar pasta sauce
Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
Chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare pasta shells according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
- Shred beef pot roast with two forks.
- Meanwhile, combine pot roast, cottage cheese, 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and garlic in large bowl. Fill shells evenly with beef mixture.
- Spread 1 cup pasta sauce on bottom of an 11x7-inch glass baking dish.
- Arrange shells in dish; top with remaining sauce. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 20 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 to 8 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned and sauce is bubbly.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 364; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 119mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 40g; Sodium: 1168mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.