Beer-Braised Spicy Beef Tacos
Don't wait for "Taco Tuesday" to serve this flavorful shredded beef version of tacos. Beef shoulder center roast is braised in beer seasoned with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce until fork tender.
2 pounds beef shoulder center roast
2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
2 medium chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers - divided use
12 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas, warmed
2 cups coleslaw mix or shredded lettuce
Optional Toppings: Chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled queso or sour cream and fresh lime wedges
- Preheat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add beer, peppers and 2 tablespoons adobo sauce to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork to tender.
- Meanwhile, combine coleslaw and remaining 1 teaspoon adobo sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove pot roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce to medium and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- Meanwhile, trim and discard excess fat from cooked pot roast. Shred pot roast with 2 forks. Return beef to reserved liquid; cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Serve beef in tortillas; top with coleslaw (or shredded lettuce) and desired toppings.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 413; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 57mg; Total Carbs: 37g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 500mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.