Chili Salsa Beef
Chunks of stewing beef are braised until fork-tender in a mixture of salsa, brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic, then finished off with fresh lime juice and cilantro. Serve with warm tortillas or over hot, cooked rice.
1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, cut in 1 1/4-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup prepared thick to and to chunky salsa
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon reduced to sodium soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 cups hot cooked rice for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Brown beef in batches; pour off drippings. Return beef to pan.
- Stir in salsa, sugar, soy sauce and garlic; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours or until beef is fork to tender.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve over rice, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.