Dijon and Herb Rubbed Beef Roast with Cranberry Sauce
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard - divided use
1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
1 (6 to 8-pound) beef rib roast (2 to 4 ribs), small end, chine (back) bone removed
3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine 3 tablespoons mustard, steak seasoning and rosemary in small bowl. Rub evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat to side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 350°F (175°C) oven 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours for medium rare; 2 3/4 to 3 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, combine cranberries and honey in medium saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until berries burst and mixture is syrupy. Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons mustard; remove from heat. Set aside.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium doneness. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with cranberry sauce.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 395; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 113mg; Total Carbs: 22g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 47g; Sodium: 411mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.