Flat Iron Steaks with Grilled Corn and Cumin-Lime Butter
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
4 ears fresh sweet corn, in husks
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 large clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime peel
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
4 beef shoulder top blade (Flat Iron) steaks (about 8 ounces each)
Salt and ground black pepper
- Pull back husks from corn, leaving husks attached. Remove and discard corn silk. Bring husks back up around corn; tie in place with kitchen string or strips of corn husk. Soak corn in cold water 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
- Combine Rub ingredients.
- For Cumin-Lime Butter: Combine 2 teaspoons rub mixture, butter and lime juice in small bowl; set aside.
- Press remaining rub evenly onto beef steaks. Cover and refrigerate steaks 30 minutes.
- Remove corn from water. Place on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; grill, covered, 20 to 30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove and discard husks from corn. Carve the 2 steaks into slices. Squeeze lime wedges over beef, as desired.
- Spread Cumin-Lime Butter over ears corn.
- Season beef and corn with salt and pepper, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 333; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 86mg; Total Carbs: 2g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 25g; Sodium: 84mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.