Greek Steaks and Mushroom Kabobs
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Lemon Pepper Rub:
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1-inch thick (1 1/4 pound)
1 pound medium mushrooms
1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 lemon wedges
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- For Lemon Pepper Rub: Combine rub ingredients.
- Toss mushrooms and onion with oil and 2 teaspoons rub. Thread alternately onto six 12-inch metal skewers; finish with a lemon wedge.
- Press remaining rub onto beef steaks.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Place kabobs around steaks.
- Grill steaks, uncovered, 15 to 18 minutes for medium rare to medium done, turning occasionally.
- Grill vegetables 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove vegetables from skewers; toss with cheese.
- Carve steaks; season with salt.
Makes 4 servings.
To Broil: Place steaks on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to to 4-inch from heat. Place kabobs alongside steaks. Broil steak 13 to 17 minutes for medium rare to medium well, turning once. Broil vegetables until tender, turning as needed.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.