Grilled Asian-Style Flank Steak
Beef flank steak is marinated in an Asian-style marinade and grilled.
1 flank or sirloin steak (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 small onion, sliced
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely minced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil*
1/4 teapoon ground black pepper
- Whisk together all ingredients for marinade.
- Place meat in a shallow non-reactive pan or a self-sealing plastic bag; pour marinade over it. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or longer, turning meat occasionally.
- Prepare outdoor grill with hot coals on one side of grill, or heat one side of gas grill to hot.
- Remove meat from marinade; pat dry.
- Sear meat over direct heat 5 minutes on each side. Move meat to side of grill not over heat; grill, covered, 20 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 145°F (60°C) for medium-rare. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing on the diagonal.
Makes 6 servings.
*Available in the Asian specialty section of most grocery stores.
To Broil: Heat broiler. Place meat on greased broiler-pan rack. Broil for about 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare.