Grilled Eye Round Steaks with Wasabi-Yogurt Cream
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt - divided use
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
4 beef eye round steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick (about 4 ounces each)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon wasabi paste*
- Combine 1/2 cups yogurt, ginger and garlic in small bowl.
- Place beef steaks and yogurt mixture in food to safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hour or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile line a strainer with paper towels; set over small bowl. Place remaining 1 cup yogurt in strainer. Cover; let drain in refrigerator 30 minutes or as long as overnight to thicken.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Grill, covered, 10 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, times remain the same) for medium rare (145°F (62.7°C)) doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.)
- Meanwhile combine thickened yogurt and wasabi paste. Set aside.
- Carve steaks into thin slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with wasabi to yogurt mixture.
Makes 4 servings.
*2 tablespoons prepared horseradish may be substituted for wasabi paste.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 195; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 57mg; Total Carbs: 6g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 29g; Sodium: 9mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.