Herb Pepper-Encrusted Beef Fillet
An elegant roast fillet of beef encrusted in herbs and cracked black pepper and served with a creamy herbed mustard sauce.
1 (3 pound) beef fillet, trimmed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
Herbed Mustard Sauce:
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1 finely chopped shallot
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Pat fillet dry with paper toweling.
- Place thyme, rosemary, peppercorns and salt in a small food processor or blender. Whirl to crush. Place mixture on waxed paper. Roll fillet in mixture until entirely coated. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Sprinkle remaining herb mixture over top of fillet.
- Roast fillet in heated 450°F (230°C) oven 40 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers an internal temperature of 145°F (60°C). for medium-rare. Remove from oven. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes before carving. If serving cold, cool to room temperature and then refrigerate.
- Serve with Herbed Mustard Sauce.
- For Herbed Mustard Sauce: Chill evaporated milk in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Combine tarragon vinegar and Dijon mustard in a blender. Pour in chilled milk. With blender on, add oil in a slow, steady stream until well blended. Add tarragon, shallot, salt and pepper. Blend to combine.
Makes 8 servings.