Hoisin BBQ Steak-on-a-Stick with Pineapple Salsa
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Tip: This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.
1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut 1-inch thick
4 tablespoons hoisin sauce - divided use
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup water
8 (10-inch) bamboo skewers
- Cut beef steak crosswise into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Combine 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce and beef in medium bowl; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, peanut butter, lime juice and crushed red pepper. Stir in water. Set aside.
- Soak 8 (10-inch) bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain.
- Thread beef, weaving back and forth, onto each skewer.
- Place skewers on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3-inches from heat. Broil 4 to 5 minutes for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning once.
- Serve with peanut sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 258; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 62mg; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 34g; Sodium: 421mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.