Lime to Marinated Flank Steak with Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro - divided use
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 (15-ounce) can reduced to sodium or regular black beans, drained and rinsed
6 medium poblano chili peppers (about 4-inch)
Optional Toppings: Toasted shelled pepitas (pumpkin seeds), crumbled queso fresco and lime wedges
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice for marinade. Set aside diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Combine reserved tomato juice, 1/2 cups cilantro, lime juice and olive oil in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 1/3 cup marinade for rice. Place beef steak and remaining marinade in food to safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Combine rice, reserved 1/3 cup marinade, diced tomatoes, black beans and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Set aside.
- Cut slit lengthwise down 1 side of each poblano pepper to create pocket, leaving stem and tip intact. Make another small crosswise cut just below the stem to form T to shaped opening. Remove and discard seeds and membranes, being careful to keep peppers intact. Spoon rice mixture evenly into peppers. Wrap each tightly in aluminum foil to seal.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak in center grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange peppers around steak. Grill steak, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill 16 to 21 minutes) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
- Grill peppers, covered, 25 to 30 minutes (20 to 25 minutes on gas grill) or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through, turning occasionally.
- Carve steak across grain into thin slices. Remove peppers from foil. Serve peppers with steaks and toppings as desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 345; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 42mg; Total Carbs: 33g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 30g; Sodium: 322mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.