London Broil with Hunter's Sauce
A sensational beef liver entrée. The hint of tarragon adds a nice flavor to the sauce.
2 pounds london broil (round or flank steak)
1 teaspoon salt - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
1/3 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
1/3 cup white wine
1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomato
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried tarragon
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons water
- Rub flank steak on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Place on a broiler rack 4 to 5-inches from heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn and broil 3 to 5 minutes longer, to the desired degree of doneness. Transfer to a hot platter and dot with 3 tablespoons butter. Let stand in a warm place for about 5 minutes. Carve diagonally.
- In a medium saucepan melt remaining butter and cook mushrooms, green onions, remaining salt and pepper about 10 minutes. Add white wine and cook briefly over high heat.
- Add tomato, beef broth and tarragon. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into sauce; cook and stir until thickened.
- Serve over the sliced flank steak.
Makes 4 servings.