Pepper and Orange-Rubbed Beef Roast with Balsamic Beets
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 large oranges
5 cloves garlic, minced - divided use
1 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
1 (2 to 2 1/2-pound) beef sirloin cap petite roast
2 pounds peeled medium beets, cut into eighths
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grate 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze juice from oranges. Reserve 1 teaspoon orange peel for beets; set aside. Combine 1 tablespoon orange peel, 2 cloves garlic and pepper; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat to side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Set aside.
- Combine beets, orange juice and remaining 3 cloves garlic in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Roast beef in 350°F (175°C) oven 55 to 65 minutes for medium rare; 65 to 75 minutes for medium doneness.
- Roast beets, covered, 50 minutes Remove foil; continue roasting, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until beets are tender and liquid has thickened slightly.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Toss beets with balsamic vinegar; sprinkle with reserved 1 teaspoon orange peel. Carve roast across the grain into slices; season beef and beets with salt and ground black pepper, as desired. Serve beef with beets.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: One beef Tri-Tip roast (about 2 pound) may be substituted for sirloin cap petite roast. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.