Porcini-Dusted Steaks with Horseradish Crust
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
3 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms, finely ground in food processor (see Tips below)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
4 (8-ounce) shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks
4 tablespoons roasted garlic-flavored oil - divided use
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine 2 tablespoons each chives, horseradish and mustard in small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine ground mushrooms, salt and pepper, as desired, in small bowl; press evenly onto beef steaks.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place steaks in skillet; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until surface of beef is browned, turning once. Remove to a rimmed metal baking sheet. Season with salt, as desired. Keep warm.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in same skillet. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir 2 to 4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Remove from heat; stir in minced thyme.
- Meanwhile spread horseradish mixture over tops of steaks. Top with bread crumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven 9 to 13 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness. Tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle steaks with remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
- Two boneless top loin steaks, cut 1-inch thick (about 10 ounces each) may be substituted for beef top blade steaks. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven 10 to 14 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness.
- A spice grinder, clean coffee grinder or full to sized food processor may also be used to grind mushrooms. However, a full to sized food processor will not grind mushrooms as finely.
- To make soft bread crumbs, place torn bread in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form crumbs.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 548; Total Fat: 32g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 102mg; Total Carbs: 14g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 34g; Sodium: 534mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.