Pot Roast in Sour Cream
Slices of fork-tender pot roast served with vegetables in a sour cream and beef gravy over buttered noodles.
1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) boneless rump roast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon beef-flavored base or bouillon granules
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 carrots, peeled and cut into serving pieces
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
1 cup (8-ounces) sour cream
1 pound egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
2 tablespoons butter, softened (optional)
- Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Combine 1/2 cup water and beef base or bouillon and add to Dutch oven. Add bay leaf, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/2 hours. Add onion and carrot; cover and cook 30 minutes or until vegetables and meat are tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables from Dutch oven; keep warm.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Combine flour and 3 tablespoons water; stir into pan drippings. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy is smooth and thickened. Add sour cream and vegetables to gravy, and cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are thoroughly heated.
- Toss cooked noodles with the butter, if desired, and place on a serving platter. Slice roast, and arrange over noodles. Serve with the gravy.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.