Pot Roast with Succulent Sour Cream
Tender pot roast served over noodles with a stroganoff-style mushroom and sour cream sauce.
Approximately 3 pounds boneless bottom round roast
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 cup water - divided use
1 (4-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
1 clove large garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1/2 pound mushroom, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream (1 cup)
Hot cooked noodles for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Sprinkle roast with 2 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large, oven-safe roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add oil, roast and brown on all sides. Add onions, 3/4 cups water, tomato sauce, bay leaf, garlic and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Remove pan from burner, cover and place into oven; bake 3 1/2 hours or until tender. Remove from oven, discard bay leaf; allow roast to rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook mushrooms in butter until soft. Transfer to roasting pan once meat is removed. Add remaining 2 tablespoons flour dissolved in remaining 1/4 cup water and cook over medium heat; stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Cook over medium heat until thick, but do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Serve pot roast over noodles with gravy.
Makes 8 servings.