Ribeye Steaks with Red Chile Butter
Ribeye steaks, brushed with a molasses and chile basting sauce during grilling, are served with a tantalizing red chile butter.
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Red Chile Butter:
1 ancho chile, stemmed and seeded
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon maple syrup or brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (24 to 32-ounce) bone-in, well-marbled ribeye steaks
- For the basting sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- For the red chile butter: Soak the ancho chile in warm water to cover until soft, approximately 20 minutes. When soft, drain off the water.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- On a cutting board, mince, and mash the softened chile with a chef's knife until the consistency of a rough paste. Place the chile paste in a bowl. In the same manner, mince and mash the onion and garlic to a rough paste, add to the bowl. Add the butter, lime juice, syrup or sugar, and salt and mix well. Chill until ready to serve.
- Prepare a hardwood charcoal fire. Keep the charcoal in a tight pile. When the fire is very hot, brush the steaks lightly with the basting sauce. Grill the steaks over the very hot charcoal until well seared, about 2 minutes per side. Brush the steaks with additional sauce as they cook. Spread the charcoals out very sparsely to reduce the heat of the charcoal fire and finish grilling the steaks slowly until medium-rare (internal temperature 130°F / 55°C), another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the grill and allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes to let the juices settle. Carve the steaks into thin slices and serve immediately with the red chile butter.
Makes 4 servings.