Standing Rib Roast in Salt Crust
Salt-encrusted and roasted to perfection. An elegant, incredibly tender, juicy and flavorful standing beef rib roast worthy of gracing any special occasion table.
3 cups coarse kosher salt
1 (6 to 8-pound) standing rib roast, trimmed
- In a bowl stir together the salt and 3/4 cup water until mixture forms a slightly stiff paste.
- Arrange the rib roast, fat side up, in a roasting pan and coat it completely with the salt mixture, patting the mixture on about 1/4-inch thick.
- Roast the beef in the middle of a preheated oven 325°F (160°C) oven for 2 hours (about 22 minutes per pound), or until a meat thermometer registers 130°F (55°C) for medium-rare meat.
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove the crust with a hammer and carve the roast.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.