Tuscan Pot Roast
A mustard-seasoned, red wine-braised pot roast with red potatoes.
4 pounds top or bottom round roast, tied
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound small red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- Spread the meat with the mustard, then sprinkle all over with the flour; set aside.
- In a large flameproof casserole, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the roast to the pot. Cook, turning occasionally, until the meat is nicely browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Boil until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add water, salt and pepper. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook, turning the roast occasionally, for 2 1/2 hours. Check the pot and add water as needed to keep the meat moist.
- Add the potatoes and more water if necessary. Cover and continue cooking until the meat is fork-tender and the potatoes are done, 30 to 40 minutes. Let the roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.