Recipe courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup diced fresh Washington apricots
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
- Combine and mix flour, 2 tablespoon granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and cut into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add apricots and toss until pieces are coated with flour mixture.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon milk; mix remaining milk and egg. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir until moistened.
- On a lightly floured board, knead dough gently about 10 times. Pat dough into a 3/4-inch thick round; cut into 8 wedge-shaped pieces.
- Place dough on lightly oiled baking sheet; brush with reserved milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 450°F (230°C) 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
Makes 8 scones.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 227; Total Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 54mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 341mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.