Carrot Cranberry Bread
A delicious quick bread made wholesome with whole wheat, carrots and cranberries./p>
1 1/2 cups bran fiber cereal
1 (14-ounce) can carrot slices, drained
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried, fresh or frozen (thawed) cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray bottom of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Blend the cereal in a food processor; process until finely ground. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, mash carrots with a fork. Stir in buttermilk, lemon juice, vegetable oil, lemon peel, eggs and sugar with the carrots; mix until well blended.
- Stir in the flours, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in crushed cereal and cranberries until blended.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 to 15 minutes; remove bread from pan. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting.
Makes 1 loaf.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of www.HowWheatWorks.com; through ARA Content.