Cheddar Cheese Scones
Enjoy these flavorful scones while warm with any meal, or simply by themselves accompanied with orange marmalade or your favorite fruit preserves and a cup hot of fragrant tea.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rolled (old-fashioned or quick) oats
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, finely shredded
2/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Stir together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in large bowl. Stir in cheese.
- In small bowl, beat together butter, milk and egg. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until mixed.
- Shape dough into ball and pat onto a lightly floured surface to form an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 to 12 wedges.
- Bake on a buttered baking sheet for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
Makes 8 to 12 scones.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.