Cherry Buttermilk Scones
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar - divided use
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup dried tart cherries, finely chopped
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 large eggs - divided use
Additional flour for cutting scones, etc.
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the dried cherries.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and 2 large eggs. Add liquid mixture to dry mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be soft and sticky). Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Flour surface for forming scones. Turn out dough and knead 2 to 3 times. (Dough will be very soft).
- Divide dough in half. Roll each piece of dough into a 5-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut each round into 8 pie-shaped wedges. Using a metal spatula, carefully transfer wedges onto a cookie sheet, arranging so that wedges are not touching. They should be at least 1 1/2-inches apart.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg with 1 tablespoon of water to make an egg wash. Brush a very light coat of egg wash onto the top of each scone; sprinkle tops of scones with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for about 13 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch. Serve warm.
Makes 16 scones.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 142; Calories From Fat: 4; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 34mg; Total Carbs: 24g; Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 191mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.