These cream cheese-filled treats make a wonderful late morning breakfast. Bits of sweet cherries set them apart from similar sweet rolls.
1 1/2 cups milk
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoonsactive dry yeast
6 cups (approximately) all-purpose or bread flour - divided use
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- In a saucepan over medium heat, scald milk then cool to 105° to 115°F (40°C to 45°C). Add yeast and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the flour; mix well, then set aside for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla, until blended. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a mixing bowl cream together butter and 3/4 cup of the flour with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in yeast mixture. Beat in whole eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in salt and up to 4 cups of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- On a floured surface knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat the surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- Roll dough out to a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread with cream cheese mixture and cherries. Roll up, jelly roll style from long side. Cut into 1-inch slices, flatten slightly, then place on baking sheet to rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake rolls in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 24 sweet rolls.