Chocolate Streusel-Topped Choco Chip Oat Muffins
Topped with chocolate streusel and loaded with chocolate chips, these oat muffins are sure to please. Ideal for breakfast or as a snack anytime of the day.
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- For Streusel: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well. Set aside.
- For Muffins: In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mixing well.
- In medium bowl, combine buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and egg; blend well.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients; pour wet ingredients into well; stir just until ingredients are combined. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups three fourths full. Top with reserved streusel, about a heaping tablespoon per muffin; pat down gently.
- Bake 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto wire rack to continue cooling.
- Serve warm or cold.
Makes 12 muffins.
Tip: No buttermilk on hand? Substitute with soured milk: Place 2 teaspoons white vinegar in a glass measuring cup and add milk to measure 2/3 cup. Let set for a minute or two, then proceed with recipe.