Chocolate Chip Muffins
Applesauce replaces the fat in these, low-fat, moist and yummy, streusel-topped muffins chock-full of semisweet chocolate chips.
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided use
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (12-ounce) package or 2 cups NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
3/4 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease (2) 12-cup muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 2/3 cup sugar, dark brown sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Lightly beat egg whites in a medium bowl. Stir in applesauce, milk, 4 tablespoons oil and vanilla; mix until well blended.
- Fold egg mixture into flour. Stir just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Spoon into prepared muffin tins and set aside while making topping.
- Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon with oats. Stir in remaining oil until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle evenly over muffins. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until center is set. Cool in tins for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 24 muffins.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.