Cocoa Banana Muffins
Deliciously moist and tender chocolate, banana and oat muffins.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 small)
1/2 cup milk
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease bottoms only with vegetable shortening.
- Combine flour, oats, granulated sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl; mix well.
- Combine bananas, milk, butter, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl; blend well.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. Store tightly covered.
Makes 12 muffins.
For Mini-Muffins: Line 36 miniature muffin cups with paper baking cups. Proceed as recipe directs. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.