These sweet, cinnamon-scented rolls have dried sweet cranberries and a large marshmallow baked inside the center of each roll.
2 (0.25-ounce) envelopes rapid-rise yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
3/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C)
1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
12 large marshmallows
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine yeast and 3/4 cup water in a glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat yeast mixture, 1/4 cup sugar, and next 4 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 4 minutes).
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F / 30°C), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and divide into 12 portions. Roll each into a 3-inch circle.
- Brush circles lightly with butter, reserving remaining butter.
- Combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over circles. Place cranberries evenly in center of each circle, and top with a marshmallow.
- Pull edges of circle to center, and pinch to seal; shape into a ball. Place, seam side down, in lightly greased muffin pans. Brush tops with reserved butter. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator, and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 12 minutes or until lightly browned; cool slightly.
- Stir together powdered sugar, milk, and ginger; drizzle over rolls.
Makes 12 sweet rolls.