Cranberry Whole Wheat Muffins
Recipe courtesy of Cranberry Marketing Committee.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon baking powder
5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cups milk
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, halved or sliced
- Thaw cranberries if necessary. All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare muffin pan by greasing cups or with paper cupcake liners; set aside.
- Combine flours, sugar, salt, zest, ginger and baking powder in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, milk and egg.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Do not over-mix, or the muffins will be tough. Stir in cranberries just until evenly distributed through the batter.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle some decorative sanding sugar on top of muffins, if desired.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until lightly browned.
Makes 10 muffins.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Cranberry Marketing Committee.