Date Nut Bread with Pistachios
Easy to make, traditional date nut quick bread with colorful, flavorful pistachios.
1 cup dates, chopped
1 cup boiling water
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup natural California pistachios, chopped
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon each vanilla extract and grated orange peel
- Soak dates in water; cool (do not drain).
- Combine flour, pistachios, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine dates with water, eggs, butter, vanilla and orange peel; add to flour mixture. Mix only until moistened.
- Spoon into 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
Makes 1 loaf.
Recipe provided courtesy of the California Pistachio Commission.