Double Corn Cornbread with Honey Butter
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, melted and cooled
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened
2 tablespoon honey
- For Cornbread: In a large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Add buttermilk and melted butter; mix well. Add to dry ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in corn.
- Spread batter in a buttered 8 to 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake in a 400°F (205°C) oven for about 25 minutes for a 9-inch pan or about 30 minutes for an 8-inch pan or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- For Honey Butter: Combine softened butter and honey.
- Cut corn bread into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature with honey butter.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.