Fruit & Oat Scones
Hearty, yet tender oat scones loaded with mixed dried fruits.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
3 tablespoons granulated sugar sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup finely chopped dried mixed fruit, dried cranberries or raisins
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly grease baking sheet with vegetable shortening.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl; mix well.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in dried fruit.
- Combine buttermilk and egg in small bowl and add to flour mixture all at once; stir with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll or pat dough into an 8-inchin diameter circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until very light golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 8 scones.