German Chocolate Muffins
Chocolate muffins with a yummy coconut-pecan and chocolate filling.
1 3/4 cups butter - divided use
8 ounces milk chocolate - divided use
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup sweetened flake coconut, lightly toasted
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare muffin tins by greasing or lining with muffin cups; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the butter with 6 ounces of the chocolate. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda in a small mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with sugar until light. Stir in buttermilk to blend. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add flour mixture and stir just until flour disappears.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, grate or finely chop the remaining 2 ounces chocolate.
- In a medium bowl cream together powdered sugar and remaining 1 1/4 cup butter. Stir in coconut, pecans, vanilla and grated chocolate.
- Split each muffin in half horizontally. Fill with coconut-pecan mixture. Put muffins back together and serve.
Makes 12 muffins.