Golden Cottage Bread
This golden round loaf of yeast bread, made with cottage cheese, is crusty-buttery on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F | approximately 45°C)
1 cup cream-style cottage cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Beat together yeast, cheese, sugar, salt and egg. Add flour gradually, stirring well after each addition. Cover dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Stir down dough and place in a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Cover and let rise until almost doubled.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and brush crust with 1 tablespoon butter.
Makes 1 loaf or 16 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.