Graham cracker crumbs give this tasty cornbread a nut-like flavor.
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup buttermilk and cornmeal in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar and egg in large mixing bowl, mixing well; set aside.
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Alternately add dry ingredients to butter/egg mixture with the 1 cup buttermilk, mixing well; stir in the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tested done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.