Ham and Cheese Muffins
These savory muffins are fun for kids to make—and they’re great for breakfast, in a lunchbox or as an after-school snack. Try one of the variations: Bacon and Cheese or Sausage and Cheese.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces ham steak, boneless, diced
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly grease and flour 12 regular muffin tins.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, buttermilk and oil in a small bowl. Stir in the ham and cheese. Using a rubber spatula, stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon into each of the prepared muffin tins approximately 3/4 full. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from muffin tin and let cool.
Makes 12 muffins.
- Bacon and Cheese Muffins: Substitute 6 slices bacon, diced and pan-broiled, for the ham.
- Sausage and Cheese Muffins: Substitute 8 ounces pork sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained, for the ham.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe; 1 muffin): Calories: 230 calories; Protein: 14 grams; Fat: 12 grams; Sodium: 750 milligrams; Cholesterol: 50 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 4 grams; Carbohydrates: 17 grams; Fiber: 0 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork: Be Inspired.