Hot Cross Buns
Cinnamon-scented hot cross yeast buns with raisins.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast or 4 1/2 teaspoons
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2/3 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg white
- In a bowl combine flour, yeast, and cinnamon.
- Scald milk (heat until bubbles form at the edge); stir in sugar, oil, and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually add milk mixture to the flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add eggs, continue to beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in raisins and flour to make a soft dough. Place in a well-greased bowl and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide into 18 pieces, shape into balls, and place on greased baking sheets. Allow to rise in a warm place until double, about 1 hour. With a sharp knife cut a shallow cross on top of each bun. Brush with egg white.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly. Drizzle with a vanilla icing, if desired.
Makes 18 buns.