Italian Herbed Focaccia
A delicious, Italian-style flatbread, topped with herbs, sun-dried tomatos and Parmesan cheese.
2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning blend - divided use
1 (0.25-ounce) package quick-rising yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt - divided use
1 cup water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
4 to 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with vegetable shortening; dust with cornmeal.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, yeast, sugar and 1 teaspoon garlic salt in a large bowl, mixing well.
- In small saucepan, heat water and 1/4 cup olive oil until very warm (120°F to 130°F | 50°C to 55°C). Add to flour mixture; mix well. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Pat dough into pan, pressing dough out to edges of pan. Using fingertips, poke indentations over surface of dough.
- Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt.
- Arrange sun-dried tomatoes across top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let rise in warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares. Serve warm.
Makes 12 servings.