Kiwi Walnut Bread
A lovely, fragrant quick bread made with kiwifruit and walnuts. A great bread for gifting.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups kiwifruit, drained and chopped
3/4 cups walnuts, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift flour with sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Add kiwifruit and walnuts, and mix well. Add egg, butter and vanilla. Stir until just blended.
- Pour mixture into a greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for one hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan five minutes, then place it on a rack to complete cooling.
- Serve in thin slices spread with softened cream cheese.
Makes 1 loaf.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Kiwifruit Commission.