Lemon Blueberry Walnut Bread
The complimentary flavors of lemon and blueberry make this quick bread a real winner. The tartness of lemons complements the sweet subtle taste of California walnuts. The addition of blueberries offers a colorful antioxidant boost.
1 cup chopped California walnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup fresh blueberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In dry skillet, toast walnuts over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine. In medium bowl, combine sugar, lemon zest, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and oil. Whisk just to combine.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add liquid ingredients and mix gently just to combine; do not over mix. Gently fold in walnuts and blueberries. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8x4x2-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 55 to 60 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack for 20 minutes; remove from pan, cool to room temperature.
- Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat then cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Brush glaze over cake while still warm.
Makes 1 loaf, 10 to 12 servings.
- Left-over buttermilk can be frozen for future use.
- If fresh blueberries are not available, use frozen (do not thaw) blueberries.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Walnuts.